Sunday, June 14, 2009

Recharging the Battery

So last night we went to the Rangers game, as we often do on Saturday nights. This was a game I new would test the love of our relationship… Mike would be cheering against me. He was there to support his Dodgers, in his Dodger blue. There would be no fist bumps when Ranger’s made great plays, no jumping up and cheering when the home run fireworks went off. He would be the enemy! Ok, that’s dramatic, but we could have fun picking on each other’s teams, especially after the Ranger’s 6-0 win over his precious Dodgers the night before.

So, the game was chugging along nicely (0-0 after six) when the game was suspended for a light delay. Yes, a light delay, as in some of the lights weren’t on. Apparently they didn’t notice until the sun set. Play finally resumed at 10 p.m. and when all was said and done I left the stadium heartbroken around 11:30.

We got back to the car, Mike slightly gleeful, turned the ignition, nothing. Battery dead. Man, not my night. So, we figured we could jump start it once the parking lot emptied out. Nothing. Bummer. God bless AAA.

Long story short… we dropped my baby bug off at Sears, off the bed of a tow truck, at 2 a.m. Ugg. Sleep! When we got home about 2:30 the discussion became juggling cars the next day. We had planned to meet my sister for lunch Sunday after church, and Mike, being the fun-loving guy he is, was going to meet us at the restaurant. He told me to just take his truck and then go to lunch with Em. I suggested he come with me to church so that he could still come to lunch. Silence. Ok, how about I don’t go to Sunday school and you can sleep in a little more? Silence. OK. What if I don’t sing? Then we don’t have to be there until 11 and we can sit together. Umm… OK.
Yippeee!

It was such a joy to be able to sit with my husband in church. That’s just a very rare treat. Even better though… was the opportunity to sit in the congregation and listen to the choir sing “Hymn of Promise.” That song really has a special place in my heart and it was a true healing blessing to be able to listen to their beautiful words and music.

It’s easy to forget the power of the music sung every week when sitting in the choir loft. We don’t know what people are carrying in their hearts, what certain songs remind people of and what memories they stir up. What a true blessing to be able to sit next to my wonderful husband and be reminded of the healing power of worship.

I’ll take a dead battery any day if those are the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment