Monday, July 27, 2009

Surrender

727 – It’s a difficult number for me. It’s a difficult day. I know going to sleep 726 that it’s going to be tough. No way around it. So I wake up knowing that today, more than most days, I need to look for the positive, silver linings and signs from God to keep me going.

I have a great little devotional book by Beth Moore entitled “Praying God’s Word Day by Day” which has a daily reading. That, along with a deck of wisdom cards (inspired by the wonderful Rev. Kathryn), guides my daily prayer. And, not that I should be surprised, today’s verses just seem perfect.

“You say to me, Lord, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Your power may rest on me (2 Cor. 12:9).
You will never leave me, Lord. Never will You forsake me (Heb. 13:5). You are the only absolute guarantee I have in all of life. Help me cling to the one thing I can never lose.”

It’s the loss that’s so hard. The lost moments, the lost smiles and laughs, the shear loss of knowing. I cannot and will not ever regret 727, but Lord sometimes the pain just knocks me to my knees. I will surrender to God.

Tonight we will celebrate her life the only way I know how… with strawberry cupcakes… and artichokes (which she craved) and the comfort of a warm embrace. I will cry as I blow out the candles on her cake. And I will make a wish, the same wish I made on my first 727: that she know she is loved, that her life be filled with joy and that God will heal our broken hearts.

I will surrender to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment