Saturday, July 24, 2010

A new running partner

Let me preface this posting with a mom warning (Mom, you might want earmuffs for this). Don’t know if earmuffs work for blogs, but the point is made.

Thursday afternoon I went and got a new tattoo that I designed and have been waiting to get for a couple of months. I wanted to get it to mark a very special five year anniversary of sorts as a way of keeping an important message and memory with me at all times. The trick was, since I got the tattoo on my rib cage I knew that my 10 miler this morning might be a little uneasy. I just had to make it through the pain.

My mom told me one time she figured my sister’s and my running ability came from our father. I told her it was more the ability to fight through pain and never quit that got us those miles (although athleticism doesn’t hurt). She agreed – that was something she knew about. Life gives us all sorts of obstacles, big and small. The only thing we can ask of ourselves is to hold strong to faith, to believe in God and hope for the best. We will have fights to win and hills to climb – battles that will knock us down and almost out. But we hold on to those who love us and keep moving. And we should carry those battle scars with honor, for they were not easily earned.


Turns out, even with the pain, it was a great running day. My first sub-9:00 10 miler! 8:50, as a matter of fact. I promise not to get that tattooed anywhere, though.

134 days left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment