Thursday, August 6, 2009

Possibilities

Life is full of possibilities… this just isn’t one of them.

My frustration level is near max. After four completely annoying days battling for authority with my computer (it, by the way, is winning), I’m resigning. I QUIT! I’m not actually quitting my job, but I’m giving in. You win, Computer! Happy now?

A few moments ago I got so angry after another program shutdown on me that I banged my fist on the desk and yelled out, “Are you kidding me?!” It wasn’t. I heard no laughter. And my hand is red and throbbing. So this is the moment, the turning point, where I can only laugh at myself along with my computer.

There are certainly plenty of things I’ve given up on in the past – none of which have killed me… so many times when I looked at my life and saw it filled with possibilities and potential. There was the time that I wanted to be a violinist. So my mom got me a violin, I fiddled a couple of lines, hit some ear-piercing chords and retired my bow after about a week. Maybe I’d be better at the drums. “Mom, mom, mom! I want to play the drums! I need some drums!”
Always the practical one, “Maybe we’ll start with a practice pad and see how you like it.”
“No, Mom! I need drums. Just think of the possibilities!”

Then there was the time I wanted to be an artist… or a chef… or a professional bowler… or a world-traveling journalist…
A butcher. A baker. A candlestick maker.
Okay. I’ve never wanted to be a butcher.

My life is full of possibilities. I know that not everything is possible. I know that I can’t be anything I want to be. But I also know… there is nothing I can fail at that makes me less lovable to God. Maybe He even appreciates me trying. Maybe He found the time I thought I could be a karaoke lounge singer funny, too.

My life is full of possibilities… maybe even the possibility of making it through this day with my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment