Sunday, May 30, 2010

Making it happen

Something that I struggle with every morning, regardless of it being a morning I’m supposed to get up and run or not, is that energetic, spring-out-of-bed mentality. There are times when I know I need to get up, I know that something is waiting for me, someone is counting on me, and so I get up with little resistance, often before my alarm even goes off.

When Mike and I were on a mission trip a couple months back, I would wake up before my alarm, often an hour early, with excited, anxious anticipation. Saturday mornings when I’m supposed to meet people to volunteer or I have a choir rehearsal, no problem. Race days – I can’t wait to get up.

So where is that excited, anxious anticipation in my everyday life? I have something waiting for me. My job. My sneakers. I have someone counting on me. ME. And for someone who is a tough critic of herself and has at many times disappointed herself, shouldn’t that be enough?

Maybe where I’m falling short is how I’m valuing things. In mission and service I’m seeing my efforts have an impact. It’s my chance to brighten up the world. Race days give me a chance to challenge myself, to push myself, and they’re days that it’s just me against me. It seems to often that the “everyday” just pulls me down. Life gets in the way of me being able to live. Why is that? Why do I let that happen?

Let’s see if I can’t challenge myself to find the challenge and value in each “everyday” day.

Today’s miles: 5 Days left: 190

No comments:

Post a Comment