Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One Foot in Front of the Other

I printed out something very exciting, and yet somewhat terrifying, today… my full marathon training program. 28 weeks. 195 days. 1,000 miles.

In three weeks I will complete my fifth half marathon in six months. That sentence right there is mind boggling to me. Especially since one year ago the thought of running a mile was so unfathomable it was laughable.

This is the story of what motivation can do. It can trick you into strength. It can keep you in bed. Leave you on the couch with a bowl of popcorn. Or drive you to the finish line after a grueling mile of struggling to breathe.

This is the story of the sweat, tears, blood and cheers of a new runner and the quest that we all share… finding the strength to get through each day, one foot in front of the other.

Day 1:
Already behind on my first goal – go for a run at 6 a.m. It’s a tough call… beat the Texas heat or beat the snooze bar one more time. Maybe I need some kind of motivation? Some new fangled carrot. Give me a couple of hours to ponder that. No excuses today though. I’m not getting behind before I even start.

Today’s scheduled milage: 3 mi (8 mi if you ask my overlapping half program) – we’ll aim for 5 to split the difference

No comments:

Post a Comment