Saturday, August 21, 2010

Taking off the wait

Breakfast: check. Nap: check. Just about to watch my Rangers play a day game. Later, I need to make a casserole for potluck brunch tomorrow. What else did I do today? Oh yeah,

I ran 15 miles!

So, after my last update I got the week’s schedule and saw that we weren’t moving down mileage yet. I wouldn't have to wait for my chance after all. Why was this week’s run even more terrifying? Well, first off, I missed the entire training week due to my ankle. I decided that I should rest it if it was still hurting. Seems fairly logical, but I tend to be more of the it feels better today so let’s try it out kind of person. I didn’t want to make it worse though. I knew it was just a mild sprain – I would wait for it to heal. But time off makes me nervous. I know it was only a week, but I showed up for this morning’s run feeling out of shape and ill-prepared for what was ahead of me.

14.55 miles + 5 hill repeats is enough of a challenge without throwing up a mental barrier. I just kept telling myself time didn’t matter, but I would finish the miles. I will finish!

There’s something humbling about knowing that when I crossed that finish line today I would have still had 11 miles to go. But one giant mental road block at a time. I’ve checked this week’s plan now, so I can accurately say that we will be only running 12 miles + 5 hill repeats next week. But when we take on the 15-mile day in 2 weeks, I’ll know it’s just another pleasant Saturday run and I am strong enough to finish.

106 days to go

No comments:

Post a Comment