Saturday, August 14, 2010

Watch out for that broken road!

About 1 mile in to my 13-miler today (and of course that’s a Luke’s 13, so really 13.77 plus 4 hill repeats, making it about 14.7 – but who’s counting), I stepped off the road onto the limestone gravel and rolled my ankle. It just stung a little at first, so I decided to shake it off and keep going. I took it easy on the hill repeats at mile 4.5 and then kept going with my group. I could tell my ankle was getting pretty sore and my knee was starting to hurt, telling me I was compensating and running with poor form. I was keeping up and pushing through, though, at least until we reached the hairpin turn. I literally had to hop on my left leg to make the turn.

So, when one of the girls said she wanted to cut the run short because she wasn’t feeling well and asked me if I wanted to head back with her, I said yes. It was probably stupid to push my ankle more if it was hurting and there were a lot of hills coming up on the route, but in hindsight I wonder if I could have made it through the run.

Today I would have passed my magic number – the longest run I would have recorded. I feel like it’s been so long since I’ve been able to reach any milestones or challenge myself since I haven’t been competing in races. So I was looking forward to today.

I think I’m at least partly aware of how ridiculous I sound as I’m resting here typing with my leg in a compression sock and my ankle propped up on a pillow and covered in ice, but I kind of wish I’d have kept going. Next week we’ll go back to 12 miles for a recovery long run (sort of oxymoronic, isn’t it?), so it will be 2 more weeks before I can take on my magic number on again.

One thing I know – I’ll be ready in two weeks. I won’t step off the road onto a rock. I won’t take it easy the week before. I will conquer those hills. I will make every twist and turn and hill of Sperry loop. I will bring it.

Today… RICE. Tonight… the ballgame. A girl’s got to keep her perspective.

113 days to go

1 comment:

  1. I must say that I know how you feel... Just remember thought that pushing yourself is not always a good thing. I came the the same point in my training, sad to say almost 10 years ago now, when I was playing soccer and ended up with a stress fractured foot. Keep going strong but take a breather now and then =) love you sis

    ReplyDelete