Monday, May 25, 2009

Soulmates

I had the pleasure of watching one of my best friends walk down the aisle yesterday. I watched her anxious smile as she was led toward her soon-to-be husband and I looked on with three of my other best friends as she joined lives with her love.

Love is an amazing thing. It was the ability to endure time, distance, silence. It can carry us through hard times and right back in to new and exciting life events.

I sat next to my best friend, the love of my life, as I was reunited with my three best friends growing up. It had been quite a while since I’d seen two of them, but it was so amazing to have friends that we could just pick right back up with.

Missy, donning the white gown and beautiful glow, was who we all joined together to see. Fitting, since I believe she was always the magnet of the group. She is bright, warm and caring, and I know she had a pull because I would drive to the middle of the boon docks just to pick her up for a movie.

Kate, never afraid to be herself and with an artful style all her own, could paint works of art and bait a fish hook all in one week. My mother will always remember her for her rainbow-stripped knee socks, but I will always remember her for the opportunity to duck tape my pinky finger to a carpenter’s pencil in the middle of the Appalachians.

Erich joined our merry band in high school and subsequently accompanied each one of us to at least one school dance, I believe. Affectionate and caring, he added the subtle humor to the mix.


The four of us have memories to last a life time, and I have to admit… many of those memories have caused spontaneous bursts of laughter that might have made me look crazy to onlookers. Life has taken us in different directions, but it is always wonderful to know that love can lead us back to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment