Saturday, May 23, 2009

We the People

I had a hard time not becoming overwhelmed with emotion in DC. Memorials line the downtown area honoring the thousands who have fought for the amazing country that they so believed in. We watched as people brought flowers and cards to leave next to their loved ones’ names. Children, husbands, wives… all serving to protect this great country.

The media today is filled with depressing news… the economy is failing, the war is failing… our children are failing…
But I saw something different on those hallowed grounds. I saw Americans, standing side by side, paying respects to people they never met, would never meet. I saw tears in their eyes. I felt the tears in mine. And for a brief moment, we the people stood together in admiration.

I have family members who served in World War II and Vietnam, who fought in the trenches and tended to the wounded. I will always be in grateful awe of the thankless service these and so many other heroes gave and still give our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment