Sunday, April 19, 2009

We are Not Alone

In service this morning we recited text from Genesis 1. They were words that I’ve probably said and heard a hundred times, but something about them caught my attention this time. “Then God said, ‘Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness.” Let us. Then it occurred to me… who was God talking to? Everything else in Genesis 1 is singular (he, not we or they.) So who was with him?

In every Bible version I’ve found, Genesis 1:26 is plural. Only one added the words Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I’m not a Biblical scholar, or any kind of scholar, really, but I found that fascinating.

For some reason it just stuck with me that God was not alone. Even in his darkest moments, before there was light, before the sun rose on a new morning, God was never alone. So, how can we ever be truly alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment