Thursday, April 16, 2009

Deprivation

Yesterday at the lunch table I told the crowd that the Rangers were going to win that night. There was no way they would be swept two series in a row. They wouldn’t go six days without a win. And, in I believe a fit of payback and frustration, they blew by the Orioles 19 to 6. They could not go six days without winning.

It made me think about things I would not want to go six days without.

Seeing Mike’s smile. The joy and warmth that comes from seeing him smile is nothing short of healing.

Thinking of Kate. I think it would actually be impossible to go more than a day. It’s inevitable. I need to picture her smile in order to keep myself whole.

Cooking. I find comfort in my kitchen. Even if I was only able to make toast in a hotel lobby, I would feel out of balance if I wasn’t able to make something with my hands.

Laughing. I’ve had days when I thought I would never smile or laugh again. I’ve learned that thought is far more damaging, far more limiting than the original pain ever was.

Hearing God’s voice. It’s in unexpected places – that’s for sure. But I can hear Him in quiet meadows, in subtle humor or loud, honking horns – how ever He needs to catch my attention at the time.

Of course there are other small things as well… Coffee. A potato in some shape or form. A fresh salad. My camera. All these I could live without though. But the first five… I would never want to be without.

No comments:

Post a Comment