Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Perspective

This morning on the way to work, in order to avoid hitting the recycle bin which I could have easily moved and then backed out of the driveway, I did some fancy maneuvering and got out of my spot, but I then had to go the opposite direction out of the alley and circle back in front of the house. Harrumph! I added about 45 seconds to my commute!

As I drove down my street I saw a small animal trotting along one of the patios. A cute Chihuahua? A grey cat? No, an opossum. As my car approached slowly it started trotting along the bricks looking bewildered and lost. I imagine pretty scared. My car was growling at it, after all. But it was daylight. And I was pretty certain this opossum was out of its element. I watched it as it scampered along trying to find a safe place to hide and regroup. Where was that darn creek? I thought I left it right here.

Great… now 1 minute late. I can make up time. I’ll go 5 over down George. And then the light changed. Drat! 2 and 1/2 minutes late! Oh good the bus is still here – park – run fast. No… wait bus! 16 and 1/2 minutes late. At least I have a book.

Here comes my stop. Push the tape. “Stop requested.” There goes my stop. Umm… That was my stop. Could this morning seriously get worse? Grumble… grumble. OUCH! Yes, I could sprain my ankle. Limp. Limp. Shake it off. I look silly limping.

Safely in my chair. Wow! What a tough morning. Could I be more off? Focus. Why does everything have to be so hard?

Well… actually my day isn’t starting as bad as some I’ve seen. At least I’m not completely lost. I could be stumbling around, half blind, just trying to find a safe place to cry. Now the question becomes: do I ask the Lord for a break? Or, do I ask the Lord to give others the break.


I think the gut reaction is to ask for the break. Maybe the break comes in God opening our eyes just a little wider, helping it all be a little more clear. A little perspective is all we really need.


1 comment:

  1. Just lovely. I really enjoyed the picture of the possum. Remember the days when you were hanging upside down? To me that tail is your spirit; the branch, your family; and the tree the universal church.

    Your grateful and loving mother

    ReplyDelete