Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let there be Green on Earth


Today’s KRLD Listener Poll is “Do you take Earth Day seriously?” At last check opinion was heavily leaning toward no.

Mainly this made me wonder what the heck was there to “take seriously.” I am certain there is an Earth. I am also certain that there is an April 22. Is it that the initiative isn’t a serious part of their lives? Or that they could care less if we save the world?

I’m a fan of saving the world. I would like for my grandchildren to be able to walk down the street without being ankle deep in trash. I drive a highly efficient car that is clean-burning diesel and gets over 40 miles to the gallon. I take the bus to work 4 times a week reducing my driving by 44 miles a day. I recycle and use reusable shopping bags (when I remember) and I almost always drink my coffee out of a mug. We wash laundry in cold water and have energy efficient light bulbs. See… I’m a fan of saving the planet. I’m actually a bigger fan of saving money. I’m far more frugal than I am “green.” But, I think that’s the case with most companies that are boasting their trendy “greenness.” When did it become a negative to say, “We’re saving money by reducing our electricity bill”? Why is it all of the sudden, “We’re turning off lights to be green”?

But, I will hop down off my soap box and spend some time enjoying the beautiful day on this beautiful Earth that God created. I might just take my camera so I can spread a little Earth Day love later.

No comments:

Post a Comment