Monday, June 21, 2010

It's just now Summer?

The first day of summer. In Texas. Running outside. Just remember... I'll miss these days in December.

What better way to celebrate the summer solstice than with a pre-sunrise run. It’s pretty nice to be able to knock out a five mile run before the day even gets going. It’s also nice to head off to work knowing that I’ve already accomplished something today. Of course being half brain dead and half heat stroked might have lead to my inability to find my keys this morning. But it’s a give and take. Today, it took.

In an interesting bit of irony, my celebration may have been a little off, as I learned today that the word solstice derives from Latin sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still). But what fun is it to stand still? Catching a little bit of stillness this week will be nice though, since this is my last light week before “Oklahoma!” rehearsals pick up. Tomorrow is a rest day, then Wednesday I’m thinking about checking out the 6 a.m. run. It’s a 6-miler down the Katy Trail. I’m just now starting to get the hang of this early morning thing. Mainly, I’m trying to make a concerted effort to run outside instead of the treadmill – two really tough habits to break.

Training miles are finally starting to pick up! Oh, and I updated the page's look and added a countdown timer!

167 days, 932 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment