Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rabbits and sheep and runners, oh my!

I was up and at ’em this morning to meet the Wednesday morning RA group. Got there just in time to stretch a bit then take off – like a rocket. A big group of runners left, about 10-15 stayed behind. I couldn’t help wondering as I took off, should I have stayed? Am I one of those people? Oh well, too late now. Not sure who the other group was, but I learned quickly there wasn’t anyone in my pace group running with me. I was chasing rabbits the whole time, but it did keep me moving. Mainly I had to keep my pace up because I had no idea where I was going and was afraid I’d lose sight of the group. From somewhere behind me, although I’m not sure how, another runner came up alongside me. He obviously recognized my greenness and chatted with me for a bit before taking off again. I reached the turnaround, still a bit behind the pack but I kept most of them in my sights. We pulled off the running path and headed into a neighborhood, and I noticed the group was slowly thinning. Where were people going? Did they have their own ways back? Did I start following random people? Is the girl I’ve been tailing now getting nervous and wondering who this creepy girl is panting behind her?

And then that same guy pulled up alongside me again. We chatted. I told him I realized I was the only one in my pace here and was just trying to keep up. He said he’d run with me to the split so that I could find my way back. Runners can be such friendly people. He informed me the group I took off with was actually the Park Cities running group, not my Luke’s group. Oops! Who knew there were so many runners out there? I tried to not let on that I was a lost sheep. He probably knew though, which is probably why he was shepherding me.

Up side? Rabbit chasing got me a nice pace. Once I get to know some more faces, maybe I’ll figure out when I’ve lost my way. It is nice to know that if I get a little tired of the RA route I can switch it up. Of course, I’ll actually have to run it a few times before I can get in a rut. At least now I know someone in the other group. Tomorrow… the group I know… and the HEAT!

165 days, 927 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment