Sunday, June 13, 2010

Number 5 down, thankfully

Today was a very important learning experience. First, not every race can be a new personal record. The thing I love the most about running, though, is the fact that the only thing that can stop me from finishing is me. So, I learned the value of perseverance, through the heat, the wind, the humidity, the burning leg pain, through it all.

If you had asked me headed into the race if I would have been happy with a 2:10 finish, I would have said no way. Remember that fear of not having trained hard enough? Boy did that come back to get me! As I trailed away farther and farther back from the 2:00 group that I started with, I just kept thinking… it’s okay. 2:05 is okay. Then the 2:10 group passed me, and I was still halfway from home. My legs felt like they were on fire, but I knew if I just kept moving I’d get there (and before the 2:20s at least.) Suddenly, with two miles to go, I was passed by the 2:20 group – they looked like their legs were so fresh they’d just started and like they were running in 20 degrees cooler weather.

Just keep moving. Just keep moving. Strength. Endurance. I figured maybe if I just kept smiling I might be able to trick my legs into feeling better. If anything, at least there will be good looking pictures of me from the course. As I rounded the corner to mile 13, all I could think was Mike would be there. He’d just fought his was through his first 10K. He knew the exact heat and sore legs I was battling. I just had to get to him. We’d get across that finish together. And there he was. And together we ran.

It might not have been my best race. Heck, there’s still time, it might not be my worst. But I’ll tell you, maybe with the exception of my first White Rock half, no finish has ever felt better. I honestly feel like I earned every foot of those 13.1 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment