Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Running free

I broke from the pack this morning to do a tempo run, so unlike last week I wasn’t as swept up in panic and frantic chaos (even if most of it was in my head.) And what did the solitude leave me with? Just me. My breath, my footsteps, my key rattling in my pocket – just me. There was no top 100 hit pumping me up and keeping me motivated. No chit chat for my eavesdropping pleasure. Just me – and maybe some frogs and birds and the occasional passerby.


Luke’s wants us to run without headphones: one, it makes us more observant and therefore less likely to get flattened by a car or bike; and two, so that we can be part of the group. Mission two fail. But I did successfully finish without being run down! In adjusting to my new quiet runs, I have noticed a couple of differences. The biggest might be that I’ve stopped running with my knee band. I used to require support for my runner’s knee, but lately I’ve been running fine without it and with no pain. Could it be that by focusing on me and not being distracted has adjusted my stride and made me run with less pain? Maybe, or maybe my legs are just stronger. I’m becoming very aware of my pace. Some days it’s nice – and necessary, like on tempo days – but it takes me away from breath energy and stride focus when every 14 steps I have to look down at my watch and check my pace or distance. I’m also becoming more aware of my to-do lists. I’ve gained a whole hour of thinking time, which certainly isn’t the point. At least I don’t think it is.


I read a great article in Runner’s World about meditative running back in May. At the time, I remember thinking how cool that would be and how much I would like to incorporate that into my running style, but it’s really hard to stop the inner dialog and just be. Away from the world, the fears, the doubts, the distractions, just me running free.


158 days, 913 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment