Thursday, June 10, 2010

Runners Anonymous

Today was a pretty exciting day, in the world of a new runner anyways. First, I picked up our bibs for race day. I’m pretty sure major dork-alert alarms must go off when I go to packet pick up. It’s like this strange childhood exuberance akin to Christmas morning meets the mystery grab bag prize at Putt Putt. Like I said, dork alert! But getting to hold my bib in my hands and riffle through my packet in search of its hidden treasures is almost as fun as crossing the finish. Almost.

And then, as if that weren’t enough excitement for one day, I attended my orientation for my new running club. It was like attending my local chapter of runners anonymous – people gathered together confessing how many years they’d been on the wagon, how many races they’d notched in their bed posts. I was surrounded in a room of my peers. An entire room of crazy people just like me, people terrified of that first 3 mile run, people pushing themselves to that first 13.1, people insane enough to tackle their first 26.2, people just looking for company along the road.

Next meeting of my local RA chapter… 6 a.m. Saturday morning. That’s 0600, in the morning. Yikes! Hope my excitement carries me enough. It’s just another new habit I look forward to forming.

179 days, 966 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment